Two plaques were unveiled in March 2018 at Redmaids’ High School, which was formed in 2016 when two schools with a combined 500 years of history were brought together (Redland High School for Girls and The Red Maids’ School): more details here.
One of these plaques was dedicated to the Sturge sisters who played a part in the foundation of Redland High School for Girls. Thus it is fitting that on 21st June 2021 another plaque commemorating the sisters was installed on the Grade II*-listed gateway, dating from around 1735, of the former school.
Emily and Elizabeth Sturge were committed Quakers and besides their involvement with the school, were connected with charities, women’s suffrage and promoting education for the poor generally. At the unveiling, Caroline Bateson, former Headmistress of Redland High School for Girls, and Perdita Davidson, former Deputy Head and last Acting Head of Redland High School for Girls paid tribute to these progressive, non-militant campaigners.