Preapplication proposals for mixed-use redevelopment comprising a hotel with ground floor commercial uses, an aparthotel and residential dwellings (including affordable housing), with associated landscaping and open space at Plot 3, Temple Quay (between Valentine Bridge and Meads Reach Bridge).
Bristol Civic Society welcomes the redevelopment of this site. The proposed uses are suitable and the proposed permeability and pocket park would provide a welcome relief from the dense development of the surrounding area. We welcome the commitment to minimise vehicle access to the development but urge that cycle parking and storage facilities are at least compatible with the Council’s requirements.
We felt the application could be improved by:
- Ensuring building heights did not break the profile of the Brunel buildings at Temple Meads Station when viewed from the station approach;
- Keeping roofs free from servicing equipment;
- Introducing some different shapes such as curves into the residential block;
- Maximising planting and active frontages adjacent to Isambard Walk (Friary).
- Signposting the pocket park particularly from the station.